Does Mold Cause Lung Cancer?

by

Mold is one of those scary substances that you mainly opt to stay away from. If it’s on bread, fruit or any other food, we usually can’t stand to even pick it up, let alone look at or smell the item before quickly discarding it. So, when we find that mold had made its way to our roofs, walls and other spaces of our house, we immediately (and rightfully) expect that the air might be compromised. The mold that can grow in your house is the same mold that might grow on that food you throw out. The question is, will it cause lung cancer? We’ve broken down the answer.

What is House Mold?

House mold is also called “toxic mold,” with the most common house mold being Stachybotrys chartarum, or better known as black mold. The myth with this mold is that it is toxic to human beings that might live in the house where it might be growing. The truth is while this mold is toxigenic (which gives it the ability to produce mycotoxins, which are toxic) it isn’t poisonous or toxic itself. Because moisture can cause mold to grow almost anywhere, believe it or not, a little mold is in your home already. Because mold is a non-threatening substance, most people aren’t affected. It’s mainly the thought of mold in your home that might be the most concerning factor. Rare cases linked toxigenic mold found in homes to ailments such as memory loss or hemorrhages. However, stronger cases found that over time, homes with untreated mold can be the linked to upper respiratory symptoms such as coughing or wheezing in individuals who were healthy.         

Can it Cause Cancer?

Although mold is an unwanted problem in our homes, it does not cause cancer in humans. Though mycotoxins can affect our lungs, skin and even nervous system, its effects have more to do with upper respiratory issues than cancer. No evidence exists tying mold to lung cancer.

Mold can have lasting effects on your body if it is ingested over a long time, such as in old buildings where individuals work.

Keep in mind that young children living in the home can be more affected than adults. They are more susceptible and could develop lung infections such as pneumonia.

Stay informed by reading facts about lung cancer and any other health-related information about the air we breathe. As our atmosphere changes around us, so do our risks for contracting airborne toxins. Knowing how substances can have a lasting effect on us can help us protect ourselves.

Clearing Your Home of Black Mold.

While house mold is relatively non-toxic, it’s still something that you should want to get rid of as soon as possible. A full-service roof repair company can inspect your home for things such as mold, and refer you to a specialist if they don’t do the mold removal themselves. You can use natural methods, such as using bleach and water to wash away the mold yourself. Please note that if you do decide to try to remove mold yourself, you must cover your skin (a hazmat suit works best) to avoid contact with the mold spores. If your home has a large amount of mold, you should hire professionals to remove it safely. When it comes to removing the mold yourself, you have to be close to strong chemicals and fumes, while also avoiding the mold contacting your skin. Letting an expert tackle the job makes more sense.

So while mold doesn’t cause cancer, it’s best to remove it from your home to avoid the lasting effects it can cause you and your family. And if a small manageable amount is found in your home, you can remove it yourself. However, if you encounter a large amount, it’s better to contact professionals.