Lethal Bizzle – Toxins in Your Home You Didn’t Know About

by

 

Our health is something that we take for granted – but really shouldn’t. It can fluctuate in the blink of an eye, and just like a car that has carried on without a service, eventually it will break down if you don’t treat it carefully. Have you ever wondered what the substances around your home are doing to your body, and the effect they are having on your wellbeing? For most, it is a second thought .. until it is too late.

Image Source

Asbestos

Asbestos was banned as a building substance at the start of the new millennium. It is a natural fibrous rock, and when presented in those words doesn’t really sound like something that can slowly kill you – but don’t be fooled. If you are doing work around your home and it was built before the ban, make sure that you are not working with this hazardous material. There are many companies that are available for asbestos abatement and removal, and this is a task that should definitely be left to the professionals. If you come into contact with it, you heighten the risk of developing mesothelioma cancer, which is only caused by exposure to asbestos. More information about it can be found at http://www.mesotheliomahelp.org. If you have disrupted asbestos and have any symptoms that are explained on the website, see a doctor immediately.

Bleach

It’s not just the drinking of bleach which can be harmful to your health. Simply inhaling the fumes in your home, which can come from using it to clean with, can cause long-lasting effects and potential health risks. If you have asthma or allergies, these can be exacerbated with frequent use of bleach, and those who are having problems with their respiratory system should avoid it altogether. There are many alternatives to bleach which don’t contain the same compound of toxic chemicals, and instead rely on oxygen bubbles to give an effective clean. There are certain things around the house that bleach should never come into contact with for fear of releasing even more of a toxic gas than the one it already gives off; vinegar, for example, when mixed with bleach will give off a chlorine gas. If bleach is mixed with  washing-up liquid, it can produce something as potent and deadly as mustard gas, which was such a lethal chemical that it was used in World War I to cause permanent burn damage to enemy forces.

Lead

Not commonly found around the home anymore unless you live in an old building where it is still present in the paint, and old toys may still be coated in it. It can cause irreversible damage, and the symptoms from coming into contact with it range from nausea to memory loss, and can even start affecting your behavior; an aggressive attitude can be an indicator that the person who is acting that way may have been poisoned by lead. Although it’s a naturally occurring metal, just as asbestos is natural, it doesn’t make it any less dangerous.